One of my favorite places in Utah for a sunrise engagement session is in Moab! Moab is an adventure-lovers paradise with hiking, climbing, canyoneering, mountain biking, and incredible camping. I come to Moab as often as I can. I’m so lucky to live only three and half hours to this amazing little outdoor town located in southeast Utah. I was able to photograph a mutual friend’s of Terri and John’s wedding last fall in Florida. So when they decided to take a trip to Utah, they reached out to have me photograph their sunrise engagement session in Moab!
I camped the night before on some BLM land (Bureau of Land Management) and had a 5:00 am wake-up call to meet Terri and John at Dead Horse Point State Park (so worth it)! We meandered around (with almost no-one there) for an hour taking these gorgeous photos. I am so glad that they traveled all the way from Florida for their sunrise engagement session and we got to hang out.
There are some pretty amazing locations to choose for photos in Moab, however, Dead Horse Point is one of my favorites 🙂 I have taken photos at this location for sunrise and sunset and I think that they are both insanely beautiful. If you are wanting a sunrise engagement session in Moab as well, here are some other locations that I highly recommend:
Arches National Park
- Arches National Park is a great location for a sunrise shoot! There are many cool spots that I know of and am happy to recommend within the park.
- One of the major pros of taking photos here in the mornings is that it isn’t as crowded. Arches can get crowded, which is why the park implemented the mandatory time slots that you must enter the park. Since most people don’t want to wake up super early, the morning slots are less crowded 🙂
- Another pro is that it is not as hot during the peak season of April though October.
Canyonlands National Park
- Canyonlands National Park is HUGE! It is much easier to escape crowds in Canyonlands vs. Arches.
- The 3 distinct sections of the park are: The Needles, The Maze, and Island in the Sky.
- Renting a Jeep or something with off-road capability is awesome for Canyonlands because there are endless roads and paths to explore 🙂